Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday Traditions... What does your family do?



Today I was watching a clip on MSNBC and the had a commercial for the Christmas program from Rockefeller Plaza. As I watched, I reflected on my trip to the city a few years ago. About 5 years ago my mom and I were in New York City in between the Holiday Season (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and we had the opportunity to visit Rockefeller Plaza as they brought in the "GIANT" tree. We heard the whole story of how the tree was selected from hundreds in upstate New York and then made it's way through the mayhem known as "the big apple," to it's final destination. We watched it be erected, and then just before our visit ended we saw hundreds of workers decorate the tree. Unfortunately we missed the actual lighting of the tree by like 12 hours, but we were able to watch it on television the following evening for the annual lighting of the tree on NBC.
My family has so many Christmas traditions, the following are just a few...


*The day after Thanksgiving, I (and since I got my license, really only me) shops for the deals on Black Friday. This year I drug Frank along... poor guy! He was a champ!

*The weekend after Thanksgiving we decorate the whole house for Christmas. Lights, Tree, Our Village, Moms Santa Collection, the stockings, the "designer trees" etc...
We always listen to the same Christmas Cd's and sing our hearts out as we decorate. Followed by some good 'ol fashioned pumpkin pie. :) mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy!




*The following weekend, we drive around the city (and sometimes other ones) looking at Christmas lights and once again, blasting the Christmas music.



* The third weekend (when I was younger) I went with either parent (depending on what their schedules were like) to the Parade of Lights in either Newport Beach, or San Diego Harbor. It was always cold, but a fun experience!




*The next family tradition is still my all time favorite... MOM'S CHRISTMAS EVE SPAGHETTI FEAST! OHHHHH YEAH! pretty much everyone knows that Spaghetti is my ALL TIME FAAAAAAVVVVOOOOORRRRIIIITTTTEEEEE food! My mom goes all out, the whole family is invited, immediate family, extended family, friends, and last year, even a homeless family. I love it, we all partake of the delicious meal, then rest our tummies while catching up on the busy year coming to an end, followed by some BAD piano playing, gift exchange (which is usually home made gifts or food), picture time, and a Midnight Christmas Eve Service at my moms church. It such a beautiful night. It has so much more of the feeling that should accompany the Christmas holiday. There is no commercialization, simply time spent with our loved ones, and rejoicing in the reason for the season. At our home on Christmas eve, there is so much joy, the lights are dim, the fire is lit, the tree is glistening, it's just enough to warm the soul!

*Then the next day (obviously) is Christmas. It involves waking up to a mess of a kitchen, opening our gifts, then getting together with more family throughout the rest of the day. Just the same as everyone else! :)

No comments: